Find out more about this project.
An introduction to the aims of EU-SOL and how we plan to achieve them. Plus read about the organisations and people working on this project.
What is Eu-Sol?
Eu-Sol is a multi million Euro research project funded by the European Commission. It is focussed on improving the quality of potatoes and tomatoes.
Who is Eu-Sol?
The project involves 56 partners from 15 different countries. Most are based in the EU but some are from as far apart as Israel and Argentina.
Find out more about the partners and people in EU-SOL by clicking on the tabs above.
What’s in a name?
The nature of Eu-Sol is reflected in its name:
- Eu = The European Union
- Sol = Solanaceae (the family of plants that tomatoes and potatoes belong to)
More information: 10 Questions and Answers about Eu-Sol
More information about Eu-Sol is available in a 5-pages leaflet that answers ten questions:
- What is EU-SOL?
- Why focus on potato and tomato?
- What makes potato and tomato important in nutrition?
- Why is there a need for new traits?
- What type of traits are of interest?
- Is conventional breeding no longer needed?
- What does EU-SOL add to existing breeding practices?
- How will the results be used?
- What is the advantage of Marker-Assisted Selection?
- Who decides what we need?